VICTORIA – To recap the large number of key accomplishments since the Legislative Assembly rose in June, the B.C. Liberal Government caucus has released the “Change That Works For You” website.
Visit www.changethatworksforyou.ca to view a detailed summary of government achievements to create jobs, support families, and open government.
Premier Christy Clark promised her government would focus on job creation, helping families get ahead and opening up government. This legislative session a total of 19 bills were introduced.
“This document clearly demonstrates that the BC Liberal Government has been working hard and getting things done for British Columbians,” says BC Liberal House Leader Rich Coleman. “From the successful Asia trade mission to the Family Law Act, our government is making the changes that British Columbians asked for and our plan is working.”
Key achievements for North Vancouver:
- Supporting a successful Seaspan bid for a three-decade shipbuilding contract
- Investing $16.3-million to redevelop 76 affordable apartments for seniors in North Vancouver
- Giving 100-year-old Ridgeway Elementary a major heritage restoration with seismic upgrades
- Expanding supportive housing in North Vancouver
- Launching Canada Starts Here: the BC Jobs Plan
- Reforming Family Law to put the child’s interest at the centre of any dispute resolution
- Introducing legislation to create an Auditor General for Local Government
Key Legislative accomplishments:
- PASSED: Flathead Watershed Area Conservation Act
- PASSED: Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Amendment Act, 2011
- PASSED: Nurse Practitioners Statutes Amendment Act, 2011
- PASSED: Greater Vancouver Transit Enhancement Act
- PASSED: Teachers Act
- PASSED: Metal Dealers and Recyclers Act
- PASSED: Family Law Act
Private Members’ Bills moving forward:
MLA Norm Letnick: Emergency Intervention Disclosure Act, 2011
- MLA Moira Stilwell: Concussions in Youth Sport Safety Act
- MLA John Rustad: Workers’ Dues Transparency and Rights Act